Last-Mile Delivery Strategy
What is Last-Mile Delivery Strategy?
An accurately developed Last-Mile Delivery Strategy goes well beyond a ‘re-route’ and entails a modeling process to consider facility costs, fleet costs, delivery asset types, customer time windows, stop service time, customer drop analysis, and customer frequency analysis.
Typical scenarios include:
- Optimal number of delivery routes
- Number of delivery days per week
- Quantity/type of delivery vehicles (capability and capacity)
- Driver classification
- Route balancing (time vs. weight)
- Frequency of delivery by customer
- Drop size comparison
Benefits of Delivery Strategy?
- Minimize miles driven, number of delivery vehicles utilized, and overall cost.
- Improve delivery service with better route planning considering constraints and client specifications such as delivery time windows.
- Maximize customer satisfaction with more on-time deliveries and minimal turnaround time to process orders.